The first recipe of the week is vanilla and strawberry cupcakes with polenta. I think that everyone here is used to cooking polenta as a side dish to goulash or other stews so I thought it would be more interesting to use it in sweets. In Greece we use polenta mainly in desserts such as Halva or galaktompoureko or ravani. I could post any of these recipes but I think Greek cuisine is always present here so I am enforcing a more European approach this time. The recipe has local flour, polenta, eggs, and butter which guarantee its taste.
So the recipe goes like this:
- 100 grams of butter + 2 spoons of Zlati ghee
- 140 grams of sugar
- lemon zest
- 85 grams of Polenta
- 3 eggs
- 140 grams all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- 140 grams chopped strawberries
for the topping i used the puree of a couple strawberries along with lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases and heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Add the polenta and continue to whisk until combined. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time.
- Sift in flour and baking powder, then fold in quickly with a large spoon or spatula until you have a thick batter (the mixture may look lumpy because of the polenta). Stir in the milk to loosen, then gently fold in the chopped strawberries. Divide the mixture between the paper cases, then bake for 20 mins or until golden, risen and springy to touch. Cool for a few mins, then place the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
- mix together in a food prossessor ir blender a couple of strawberries a few drops of lemon and icing sugar in order to make the icing. The amount of sugar is up to your liking.